Who can become a member of Medicinska Föreningen?

To become a member in Medicinska Föreningen it is required that you are registered as a student for the current semester at Karolinska Institutet. To become a supporting member that isn’t required.

What is the difference between being a student member (“regular” member) and a supporting member?

Being a supporting member is a way to support Medicinska Föreningen. As a supporting member you won’t get the Mecenat card or have access to SSSB, and it doesn’t give you any democratic rights in MF. However, you can be active in our many different societies and committees for example! You can be a supporting member even as a non-student.

I am a PhD student – is there anything I need to know?

We receive information from LADOK about registered PhD students, and will send you an invoice so that you can pay the membership fee as soon as we’ve received information about your registration. Are you a newly accepted PhD and not yet registered in LADOK? Send us a copy of your admission letter to [email protected] together with your full name, civic number, address and e-mail address or visit one of our receptions in Solna or in Huddinge.

I am a prePhD student – can I become a member of MF and get the Mecenat card?

Yes you can! As a prePhD student or research assistant you can be a member in MF, but since you are not going to be registered in LADOK, we need to register you manually. What we need from you in order to do so is a valid certificate that states what it is you are doing at KI and for which time period. This can be a document signed by a supervisor or Professor. This way we will know that you belong to KI! We also need the following information from you:

  • full name
  • Swedish civic registration number (YYMMDD-XXXX)
  • address where you want the Mecenat card to be sent
  • e-mail address (preferably your KI e-mail if you have one)

If you don’t have a Swedish civic registration number we need to know your birth date, then we will create a temporary personal number for you in our member registry (your birth date followed by -P123).

You can email the certificate and your personal information to us at [email protected] or come and visit one of our receptions. After that you can pay the membership fee, either via an invoice we’ll send you, or directly in the reception!

Do I have to be a member?

No, since July 1st 2010, it is no longer compulsory for students at universities and colleges to be members of a Student Association.

For how long is the membership valid?

Your membership card for the spring semester is valid until the 30th of September and the autumn semester until the 28th of February (29th in case of leap year).

If you choose to pay for two semesters, you will first receive a Mecenat card valid for this semester (the Mecenat card is always valid for one semester at a time), and then when you get registered for the next semester a new card will automatically be ordered for you!

Membership fee / payment

How can I pay the membership fee?

Different ways to become a member:

1) We automatically send an electronic membership invoice to your KI email address or another email address that’s registered for you once we have received the information from LADOK about your registration. In the email you will find information about how to pay the membership fee and become a member of Medicinska Föreningen.

2) Once you are in our database you will also be able to log in to our member portal using your KI username and password, the same ones you use for your KI email account. There you can pay the fee with credit card or find the OCR number and pay to our bankgiro.

3) You can visit our student union offices in Solna or Huddinge and pay the fee directly with card or cash.

Why can’t I pay via the Member Portal?

Usually it’s because our system can’t see that you are registered as a student at KI, i.e you aren’t visible in LADOK yet. Double check that you are in LADOK and send us an extract to; [email protected] together with your name, civic number, address and telephone number and we will e-mail you an invoice!

It doesn’t work when I try to pay online. Can I pay at the Student Union office?

Yes, you can pay the membership fee in one of our student union offices in Solna or Huddinge.

Why haven’t I received an e-invoice?

We e-mail invoices to all students registered at Karolinska Institutet. If you are a newly accepted student, you can’t become a member before you have started your studies, since you aren’t registered in the student database (LADOK) before that. It can take up to a week after your registration in LADOK before we receive the information to our member registry. The e-invoice will be sent to the email address that is registered for you in LADOK. If you haven’t received the invoice although you have been registered, it might be that we don’t have a valid email address for you. Please contact [email protected] and ask for an invoice or pay via the member portal.

I have paid my invoice, but when I log in to the Member Portal it still looks unpaid. What should I do?

It may take a few days before the payment is registered in our database, so if you just paid it’s just not visible yet. Wait a few days and check again. If the payment is still not registered, it is usually because you entered the incorrect OCR number or paid for the wrong semester. Send an email to our treasurer Johanna Jangland – [email protected].se where you attach a receipt of successful payment, and she will help you.

I live abroad. How do I pay the membership fee from my country?

Send an email to [email protected] and our administrator will help you.

When do I have to pay the membership fee? I have received an invoice but there is no expiration date on it.

Since the autumn semester of 2010 it is optional for university students to be members of a student association as Medicinska Föreningen. You can therefore pay the membership fee whenever you want, but you are not a member until you have done it.

My information on the invoice is wrong! What do I do?

If your name is misspelled you should contact KI to get it changed in LADOK. Visit the Info point at the library in Solna or Huddinge or send an email to [email protected]

I got an invoice though I will not be studying. What do I do?

You don’t have to do anything. If you want to remain a member even though you will not be studying this semester, you can become a supporting member. Read more here.

The Mecenat card

I have not received my Mecenat card. What should I do?

Keep in mind that it takes about two to three weeks after you have paid before your new card arrives. Also during summer and winter holiday no cards are ordered.

1) The Mecenat card is only ordered for students/PhD students registered at KI. Even though you have paid the membership fee, you still need to be registered in LADOK in order to be registered as a member of MF. Check that you have been registered in LADOK or email the administrator at your course or institution.

2) Double check what address you have in LADOK! If your address is missing or not conform to the one we have at MF, the card can’t be ordered correctly. To change your address at MF go to the member portal.

3) To put in a temporary address in LADOK you can log in to Ladok on the web. Go to Mina uppgifter / My details and write your current address.

4) Log in on mecenat.seand double check that they have your new address and order a new card.

A Mecenat card has been ordered but I need it fast!

You can order an express card from Mecenat for 40 SEK. If you have a smartphone you can download the Mecenat card as a mobile app.

I’m going to buy an SL card with student discount but will not be able to get my Mecenat card before I do it. I need an SL-proof. Can you send it to me?

No we can’t, but you can order a travel certificate via text message from www.mecenat.se or download the mobile app.

The information on my Mecenat card is wrong! How do I change it?

If your name is misspelled, you should first contact KI to get it changed in LADOK. Contact Infopunkten at Campus Solna (Berzelius väg 7, Library) or Campus Huddinge (Universitetsbiblioteket) or department secretary at your institution.

Also contact Mecenat customer service to get a new card.

My Mecenat card is lost/stolen and need a new one.

You can order a new card from Mecenat.


I am queueing for an apartment at SSSB / live in apartment at SSSB. On SSSB it says that I am not a student union member. What should I do?

1) Double check on the Member Portal  that you really paid for the current semester and that the payment has been registered (it can take a couple of days before the payment has been registered and then an additional couple of days before it’s registered at SSSB).

2) Make sure you have stated your full Swedish civic number (ten digits) at both SSSB and MF and that you are using the same e-mail address both at MF and SSSB. If you only just received your Swedish civic number please scan or take a photo of your birth certificate (personbevis) from Skatteverket and e-mail it to: [email protected] Also make sure KI and MF has you new civic number, e-mail it to: [email protected]

3) If the problem remains – contact [email protected]

Other questions

I have moved. Should I notify change of address?

Yes, you should!

1) First of all you need to do an address change at adressandring.se/privatperson

2) Make sure you have the right address in LADOK. You can check this online atLADOK on the web.

3) Update your address at MF; log in to the member portal OR send us an email to: [email protected]

4) Update your address on SSSB. sssb.se